Saturday, August 4, 2007

Welcome to Burnishings


Welcome to my printmaking blog. I am a printmaker, primarily relief prints. For those of you who have no idea what printmaking is, the Edinburgh Printmakers have a great summary description. Original art prints are works of art created by hand with various tools, media and equipment. In order to create a relief print, you have to first carve or remove material from your printing block, or matrix. The material remaining on the block is what is printed. Ink is applied using a roller, or brayer. The ink is transferred to the paper using either a press, or by rubbing the back of the paper by hand, a process called burnishing. As I do not currently have a press, all of my relief prints are produced by burnishing, hence the name of my blog.

No comments: