Thursday, April 9, 2009

Uncover the Cure

For those of you who don't know, I have been participating in the local Vancouver "Uncover the Cure" event for each of the past three years it's been running. This is its fourth year, and I'm walking again for a fourth time!

Participants must raise $300 in order to actually take part. Proceeds from our efforts go towards funding research towards fighting cancers "below the belt" - ovarian, prostate, colon; all those "secret" ones we don't want to talk about, often ones that go unchecked and unattended because we're embarrassed to even discuss it with our physicians.

I feel very strongly about this cause. I have had relatives and friends directly impacted by these type of cancers, one of whom would have had a much better opportunity at survival, or at least longer life, if she'd not been in so much denial and had gone to see her doctor sooner. To be fair, she was of a completely different generation, and it was about 15 years ago, when, even then, these cancers weren't really discussed. I believe these cancers are overlooked and are not as popularly supported as others, yet they are much more widespread and common than we think.

I have had incredibly generous support from friends & family in the past three years; please consider supporting me in my efforts again this year. I have an online donation page here and if you're not so keen on paying on line, then you can download a charitable donation form here.

No comments: